Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Major Depressive Disorder and Suicide

By


Expert Author Joshua M Felts
It's a normal part of the human condition to be depressed from time to time. We all have those days where we feel melancholy and don't want to get out of bed. However, for some of us, like me, we suffer from major depressive disorder. Personally, it's been something I've been dealing with for the latter part of my adult life. I, like millions of other Americans, get therapy, take medications, and try to prevent becoming incapacitated by it. As an individual, with unique experiences, I'm not going to paint people suffering with my diagnosis with a broad brush. We're all different, feel differently, and cope differently.
However, if you're a clinician, like I am, we need to understand it. It isn't a disease to mess with, and it can, like cancer, prove deadly. I can't and won't speak for others suffering from major depressive disorder, but I can tell you a little bit about my personal story and how it almost ended my life. I have, many times, felt suicidal. If I had stayed in law enforcement, a profession where I would have had a loaded firearm strapped to my waist daily, I probably wouldn't be here today. I've contemplated suicide. I've thought about jumping off bridges, parking garages, and stepping into traffic. Hell, you name it, I've probably thought about it. When working with patients with diagnoses of major depressive disorder, or bi-polar disorder, it's important to watch out for your patients.
When you're with them, watch their mood. Do they seem depressed? Do they lack appetite? Do they want to stay in bed? Do they feel hopeless? Do they talk about death? Did they start giving their personal belongings away? Did they suddenly get happy?
Many clinicians don't understand mental illness. It's complex, something we can't pin-point like a broken bone or heart disease. Still, just because we can't see it on an x-ray doesn't mean it isn't there. We're responsible for our patients: physically, mentally, and spiritually. If we overlook our patient's mental illness, we're not doing our jobs effectively. Largely, suicide can be avoided. I avoided it, as my family and friends were there for me when I needed them. My healthcare team was there for me when I needed them. I owe my life to my healthcare team, my friends, and my family. If they weren't here for me, I wouldn't be here, it's that simple.
If you're a medical-surgical nurse, don't just write your patient off as crazy, please remember your professional role, and try to empathize with them. Remember, there is a physiological explanation for this illness. Sure, they may be needy, but they're needy because they're trying to tell you something: they have an unmet need.
If you like my article, please feel free to stop by my blog at http://www.joshuafeltsrn.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment